Our first trip into the Cheaha Wilderness

Turnipseed Campground
Kiosk at Turnipseed Campground

Like most people, Marcie and I don’t have a lot of leisure time, due to our hectic work schedules. So when we decide to enjoy our time off, we try to make the best of what we enjoy the most, being outdoors. That being said, when we take a trip we usually leave on Saturday evening and get to our destination late in the evening, or even after dark sometimes; because we want to wake up in our campsite the next morning and enjoy the day to fullest. This trip we went to Turnipseed Campground, Talladega National Forest

 On this particular trip, it was Easter weekend and we were able to get to Turnipseed Campground, Cheaha Wilderness around 5:30 on Saturday evening, which was definitely a great score for us. We have set up camp plenty of times after dark and that can just be a hassle; to say the very least. We can assuredly attest that looking for firewood in the dark after a long work day isn’t what we would call an exhilarating experience. In fact, I think it is probably the true definition of a chore. Okay, enough complaining, now to the good stuff.
  Being that it was the Saturday before Easter, the campground was moderately populated, but not crowded; much to our relief. We have recently started experimenting with hammock camping, so the first thing I usually do; after unloading the car, is start rigging our shelter. Which consists of an A-frame constructed with two 6′ x 8′ tarps attached to a ridge line, with prusik knots and toggles usually made from sticks we find on the ground.
Two tarp shelter.

  We set up a pretty basic camp this day because our plans were to get up early the next morning and head into the Cheaha Wilderness for our real adventure of this trip. We gathered just enough firewood to cook some hot dogs and beans for dinner. After this we went to bed pretty early, so we could wake fresh in the morning, and start our hike into the wilderness.
  I usually wake up before the sun comes up when I’m camping and make coffee my first priority, and I’m usually working on a second pot by the time Marcie wakes up. She gets up early every day for work, so I try to let her sleep as long as possible when we are camping. After Marcie woke up, I went and filtered some water, then made us some breakfast to fuel us up for our hike. We broke camp, packed the car and parked in the day use area of the campground.
  Turnipseed Campground is a trailhead for the last two mile stretch of the Chinnabee Silent Trail. Which connects to the Pinhoti and Odum trails in two miles at Little Caney Head Mountain.
  Heading southeast there is a kiosk on the left and the trail continues into the wilderness.  To enter the wilderness you cross a crystal clear little creek, which is also a reliable water source year round.
Cheaha Wilderness, Talladega National Forest
  So we crossed the creek and off into the wilderness. We knew before we even started that this was going to be a challenging hike with our heavy packs, from planning with our topo. The Chinnabee Silent Trail is six miles and the last two are definitely the most challenging. This portion of the trail is rocky and pretty much uphill the entire way, but it is really beautiful and we love a challenge. If you are just going to do it as a day hike, it’s not that difficult; however, with a fully loaded overnight pack, it wasn’t easy. Just about the time that I was thinking to myself that “this isn’t that bad” is when it got pretty challenging. At about a mile we did lose the trail for about ten minutes, because of side trails that lead nowhere. There are no blazes on the Chinnabee in the wilderness. The last 3/4 of a mile are pretty strenuous. Once you hit 2000′ it starts to level out a bit. Just as you get to the top there is a little spring/creek on your right. We reached Little Caney Head Mountain and the end of the Chinnabee Silent Trail where the Pinhoti and Odum trails intersect. The elevation here is about 2100′. There are also several campsites here, but they are right on the trail, so this isn’t a spot to choose if privacy and seclusion are what you are looking for. I imagine that for a tired thru-hiker, though, that these spots would be just fine. Especially since there is a water source so close by. I believe this is also the previous home of the Cheaha Falls Shelter before it was relocated after this area was dedicated a wilderness. Odum point is just south and the trail of its namesake heads south as well.
  After resting, having a snack and taking some pictures we headed north on the Pinhoti toward Cheaha State Park. Our Pinhoti trail map said that the trail isn’t blazed in the wilderness, but we found that to be inaccurate. The trusty blue blazes are plentiful through the wilderness. Our plan was to hike until we came across the Lower Cave Creek connector trail. The views to the west and rock outcrops to the east were equally amazing. I read that this one the best stretches of the Pinhoti when it comes to scenery and we were not disappointed, that’s for sure. The trail is rocky and has a lot of roots as well, which makes it a little tricky to navigate with a full load. One good thing is that it maintains a pretty level elevation at this point.
Marcie, Hagrid, Porter and a blue blaze.

I love rock formations like this one.

The landscape through here is absolutely stunning. This looks like it is part of the trail, but it’s not. It is just a random cut that I noticed when we were taking in our surroundings.

This was a killer view of the foothills.

I thought these cloud formations were sweet.

This was really cool. Although the picture doesn’t do it much justice.
I thought it was interesting how the trees were bent over here.
There are rock walls like this all along this portion of the trail.
   We made it to the Lower Cave Creek connector. The Pinhoti trail map shows the connector heading east for about a 1/8 of a mile; however, it actually heads straight up at the beginning and more south than east. We reached the Cave Creek Trail and headed north. You can also head south on the Nubbin Creek Trail, but that’s another adventure. The Cave Creek Trail runs parallel to the Pinhoti and joins it at Hernandez Peak. As we continued along the trail we could start to hear Cave Creek in the distance to the east. We came to the creek at about 3/4 of a mile, where you have to cross. Here we came across a couple with a dog and their newborn baby. Our dog Porter actually broke one his toenails crossing the creek, because he his a complete spaz, when it comes to crossing water. Come to think of it, he is pretty much a spaz when it comes to anything.

Creek crossing.

Where I got our water.

Not the best picture I’ve taken.
    After crossing the creek and filling up our bladder with water, we headed east a short distance uphill toward where I had chosen on the map to scout for camp sites. We got to the top of a ridgeline and the Cave Creek Trail continued north and to the south, there was a campsite, but it was pretty much right on the trail. So I walked a little further on the side trail through the site and found the perfect spot about fifty yards in. This site was everything that you could ask for. It had a huge fire ring, a great view, plenty of firewood close by and a nice tall tree to hang our food in.
   We took our load off and rested our feet a bit. What a relief! It was only a little over four miles, but I had not carried that much weight, that distance, in a long time, and it was a first for Marcie. After our well-deserved break, we got down to business and started setting up camp. I set up our A-frame tarp shelter, and, Marcie hung our hammocks. Then it was off to find firewood.
Our A-frame tarp shelter.
While we were gathering firewood, this guy got into our food bag and ate our bacon.
  Once we had gathered ample firewood, we had some lunch and relaxed for while before doing a few more chores to ensure our comfort for the night. On this trip, we used backpacking stoves to cook dinner and breakfast and used the fire for light and warmth. This was an amazing Easter weekend! The solitude was just what the doctor ordered to recharge us from the draining daily life of residing within Atlanta’s metro. We only saw a handful of day hikers for two days. It was the two of us, our dogs and the sounds of the southernmost chain of the Appalachian mountain range for this particular adventure, and that was all we needed. The next morning we had breakfast relaxed for a bit hiked out.

Our forest

for that moment.

Marcie resting her feet.

Nice little fire.

Scavenger dogs.
Pinhoti blue blaze

Hiking out.

Marcie enjoying the view on the way out.
I hope that you have enjoyed reading about this adventure and that it has inspired you to explore the Cheaha Wilderness Area for yourself. Remember to always use leave no trace principles and treat the Earth with the respect she deserves.
 If you have any questions on locations leave a comment below.
Where is your favorite place to hike?
Comment below.
Don’t forget to like and share.
Thanks for reading.


3 Replies to “Our first trip into the Cheaha Wilderness”

Leave a Reply